Walking softly

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

IN THE CONTINUING PROCESS

Now that the house is set, work is starting on another level. At this point, I am aware of the end in sight, which is a great reassurance, given what feels like an eternity to come to this point. There have been so many behind the scenes, and literally under the cement details to cope with, it is amazingly gratifying to look out the windows of my new home at my own views. I met with contractors at the site yesterday, discussing placement of recepticles, light fixtures, an add-on utility room and dozens of other details.
The home is very well built for a modular home--Barvista brand--and I would strongly recommend their line. It caused me no allergic reaction when I visited the factory which is a big plus, as I have tended toward environmental sickness. Contractors walking through the house with me have commented on the quality of construction. Other modular homes that I looked at ranged from tolerable to totally intolerable. With one line, I began to wheeze and get a headache just opening the front door. Many are made with various chemicals, plastics and other non-organic materials. My new home is stick-built, with standard construction materials and very high quality things such as cabinets and pine wood doors being standard.
I am working with a solar engineer to add in a solar hot water heating system to the home. Already there is a radiant floor heat system under the cement in the full basement. Now, panels will be mounted on the roof, and radiant 'warm walls' added to the upper stories of the home. THese will have the hot water tubing with adobe over the front of them to create a radiant heat source. I am so excited to have the earthiness of adobe walls, and the comfort of solar heat (no petrochemicals!!!)
It will be a little while longer before we can move in and it should be worth the wait!

1 Comments:

  • What a wonderful thing it'll be when heat from the sun begins radiating from those adobe walls! And when the basement floor becomes warm instead of stone-cold.

    By Blogger Tom Rampton, at 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home